KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Knox County Mayor Glenn Jacobs and other Tennessee lawmakers are stepping up their push reopen the county.
Mayor Jacobs sent the Knoxville-Knox County Reopening Task Force a letter urging them to follow Governor Lee’s lead by further loosening restrictions on some businesses starting Friday, May 22.
“I think that puts our businesses at a disadvantage compared to businesses in the surrounding counties because if someone wants to go to a restaurant here or go to whatever here and it’s not open they can just as easily cross the county line,” Jacobs said, “Really, if you think about it, we’re doing this to protect public health but people from Knox County can travel and vice versa. I feel that we all need to be in lock step so I’m encouraging Dr. Buchanan to follow the state’s lead on that just to do what they’re doing.”
Some state lawmakers are echoing Mayor Jacobs’ message. State Representatives Martin Daniel, Justin Lafferty and Jason Zachary sent an open letter to Knox County Health Department Director Dr. Martha Buchanan requesting the county follow the governor’s guidance and remove restrictions as soon as this Friday.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party