MARYVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Blount County had 33 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday — a 14.4% one-day increase — but Blount County Mayor Ed Mitchell said Wednesday he is not mandating wearing masks.
There were 10 more new cases on Wednesday.
Blount county has had 272 COVID-19 cases with three deaths. Some 143 people have recovered from the virus, according to statistics released by the state on Wednesday.
Cases have increased 39% since July 1 when there were 188 cases.
Mitchell said he has been discussing Gov. Bill Lee’s Friday order that allows him to mandate masks with other mayors, businesses and citizens and “I have no plans at this time to issue a
He noted that “questions remain as to the guidelines on enforcement or legal implications of a mask mandate for our county, and even among those communities who have already issued a mask mandate.”
And he said “0.20% of our population has tested positive, 15 people have been hospitalized for COVID-19, and currently 0.089% of our population is considered active.”
However, he urged Blount Countians to take personal responsbility and wear a mask.
“Health officials from all over the country are urging the use of face coverings as a simple and effective way to continue protecting ourselves and others while moving about in the community. Personal responsibility will always be the best defense,” Mitchell said. “Let’s all do our part.”
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party