NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – The Tennessee Department of Health reported Saturday that the COVID–19 case count is 12,661 as the easing of restrictions on businesses continues.
The one-day increase in cases Saturday was 770, up 6.5%. Deaths were up by five to 209, a 2.5% increase from Friday, according to figures from the Tennessee Department of Health.
A large spike in coronavirus cases this week in the state came from positive tests in prisons, Gov. Bill Lee said Friday. That continued in the statistics released Saturday with 324 new cases in Trousdale County, where there is an outbreak affecting nearly all the inmate population at a state correctional facility.
The Tennessee county tops the list of hotspots in the nation in cases per capita, according to The New York Times. Bledsoe County, where there is another large prison outbreak of the virus, is No. 4 on that list.
The state plans to test its entire prison population.
The Tennessee Department of Correctcions also said it has delivered more than 93,000 masks for staff, inmates, county jails, and healthcare workers. COVID-19 disinfection and safety measures are ongoing at all state corectional facilities and is practicing recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state Health Department.
RELATED: Timeline of the pandemic
There have been 1,125 people hospitalized and 5,718 have recovered. The number of people tested for COVID-19 in the state is 196,276.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party