NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Halfway through August, Tennessee has seen 27,749 new COVID-19 cases — a 26.19% increase — since the last day of July.
Deaths from the virus so far this month are up by 306, a 28.87% increase.
On Sunday, the Tennessee Department of Health said COVID-19 cases rose by 1,961 from Saturday and deaths by 21. The number of cases is up 1.4% to 133,708 and deaths are up by 1.56% increase to 1,366.
There have been 5,847 hospitalizations and 92,655 recoveries in the state. Some 1,855,015 tests have been administered in Tennessee.
Increases in coronavirus cases in Knoxville area counties since July 31
Anderson 188, 32.9%
Blount 434, 41.6%
Grainger 57, 35.2%
Hamblen 311, 26.3%
Jefferson 176, 37.1%
Knox 1,526, 41.2%
Loudon 203, 33.5%
Roane, 203, 61.5%
Sevier 394, 24%
Union 67, 60.9%
Only Sevier has a slower growth rate than the state, but Hamblen’s is very close to the state rate of increase. Sevier and Hamblen are two of the few East Tennessee counties with mask mandates. Knox County has a mask mandate, but it has seen a large number of new cases in August.
Bearden High School Principal Debbie Sayers announced Sunday announced the school’s football season is being delayed two week due to COVID-19 concerns after consultation with the Knox County Schools administrator and health workers and with the Knox County Health Department.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party