NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — Cases of the coronavirus in Tennessee were up 415 to 29,541 — or a 1.4% one-day increase, the Tennessee Department of Health said Saturday.
Deaths were also up from Friday to 472, an increase of just four.
The state changed the way it reports statistics on Friday. Probable cases and probable deaths are being included in the statistics. The state had been using confirmed cases and deaths.
“We want to present a clear picture of the burden of COVID-19 on our state, and we want Tennesseans to understand the reason it may appear that we’ve had an increase in our cases and tests completed,” Tennessee Health Commissioner Lisa Piercey in explaining the change.
The total number of COVID-19 cases will include both laboratory-confirmed cases and probable cases as defined in Centers for Disease Control and Prevention surveillance case definitions, according to a news release from the department.
Some 19,731 people have recovered from the virus.
RELATED: Timeline of the pandemic
There have been 2,073 people hospitalized and 601,161 have been tested.
Tennessee’s county health departments continue to offer COVID-19 testing at no charge to anyone who wishes to be tested and there is a map of locations.
Deaths, cases projected to rise at end of summer
The widely followed projections of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) forecasts Tennessee will have 3,652 deaths by Oct. 1 in an update posted Wednesday. Also alarming is its projections that not enough hospital intensive care beds will be available starting in mid-September. Its model sees social distancing returning to close to pre-pandemic patterns by early September.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party