NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – With COVID-19 testing ramping up in the state, the Tennessee Department of Health reported Friday that Tennessee has 6,589 cases of coronavirus and has seen 142 deaths.
Cases rose 5%, or 327, from Thursday and the death toll increased by one.
There have been 711 hospitalizations attributed to the coronavirus in Tennessee and 3,017 people have recovered. There have been 87,273 tests administered in the state.
Gov. Bill Lee has announced a statewide COVID-19 testing effort that begins this weekend. The Tennessee National Guard will offer 15 drive-thru testing sites across the state. Lee has said widespread testing is critical to reopening the state’s economy.
JOHN HOPKINS STATS: Worldwide cases, deaths and how many have recovered
Knox County has announced plans for its own no appointment, drive-thru type COVID-19 testing.
Charity Menefee, director of communicable and environmental disease and emergency preparedness for the Knox County Health Department, said Friday the county expects to see an increase in the total number of positive cases as testing availability is increased.
“With expanded testing, we absolutely expect to see an increase in cases that go along with that,” Menefee said.
Starting Monday, testing without symptoms or an appointment will be available at the Knox County Engineering & Public Works building at 205 W Baxter Avenue. It will be done on a drive-thru model, but residents can call 865-215-5555 to make alternate testing accommodations.
Meanwhile, President Donald Trump has given governors a road map for recovering from the economic pain of the coronavirus pandemic, laying out “a phased and deliberate approach” to restoring normal activity in places that have strong testing and are seeing a decrease in COVID-19 cases.
“We’re starting our life again,” Trump said during his daily press briefing. “We’re starting rejuvenation of our economy again.”
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party