NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Tennessee has 7,842 coronavirus cases and 166 people have died from the virus, the Tennessee Department of Health said Wednesday.
Cases and deaths are both up 6% from Tuesday with cases up by 448 and deaths up by nine. Part of the explanation for the jump in the number of cases has to do with testing at Tennessee prisons. The number of cases in Bledsoe County jumped from 11 on Tuesday to 90 on Wednesday.
On Monday, the Tennessee Department of Corrections said all inmates at the Bledsoe County Correctional Complex were being tested.
“The decision to expand testing at the Northwest and Turney Center prisons is based on the positive returns, extensive contact tracing and a sound methodology,” Corrections Commissioner Tony Parker said in a news release Monday. “The inmates who are being tested at these two facilities either had direct exposure to a confirmed positive case, or were screened positive and symptomatic, or those with potential exposure due to the living structure of a correctional environment.
“A similar methodology has been implemented at Trousdale Turner resulting in the targeted testing of a select number of inmates by the contract vendor. Cloth masks have been provided to all staff and inmates as well as county jails, sheriff’s departments, THP and health care workers.”
The number of people hospitalized is 775 and 4,012 people have recovered. Some 114,980 people have been tested for COVID-19 in the state.
Only two counties – Hancock and Pickett – of the state’s 95 counties are reporting no cases of coronavirus.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party