NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) —Tennessee reported 670 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday — up 2,2% from the previous day — to bring the total to 31,830.
Deaths rose from Monday to 493, an increase of 10, the Tennessee Department of Health reported.
As of last week, the total number of COVID-19 cases will include both laboratory-confirmed cases and probable cases as defined in Centers for Disease Control and Prevention surveillance case definitions, according to a news release from the department.
Some 20,710 people have recovered from the virus. There have been 2,146 people hospitalized and 638,772 have been tested.
One of the places cases have begun to go up is in Sevier County.
Leon Downey, the director of tourism for Pigeon Forge told WATE 6 On Your Side’s Jordan Brown the increase in guests started around Memorial Day. Since then, the number of cases has slowly been creeping up from zero to less than 10 new cases per day, to 19 or more cases each day last week.
Downey said Sevier County’s economy thrives on tourism, so guests are always welcome, but businesses want to make sure that employees and visitors are safe.
Kroger said Tuesday that one of its employees who had worked at the Pigeon Forge location passed away after previously being diagnosed with COVID-19.
Cineworld, owners of Regal Cinemas, unveiled a plan Tuesday to reopen movie theaters across the world later this summer with U.S. locations reopening by July 10.
In Knox County, Hillcrest Healthcare reported Monday that two employees had tested positive for COVID-19; one employee works at Beverly Park Place and the second at West Hills Health and Rehab.
The number of COVID-19 patients in Tennessee hospitals hit a new record at more than 400, and more than twice that number could need beds in the weeks ahead, Vanderbilt University researchers reported Tuesday.
The Tennessee Department of Education announced Monday plans for releasing a series of guidance “toolkits” for school districts as officials look to reopen this fall.
- Coronavirus Timeline: TN Dept. of Health reports over 126K total cases, along with over 1,200 deaths
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports two new deaths, 132 new recoveries
- Hawkins County extends mask mandate through August 29
- Tennessee defends COVID-19 response to oversight chair
- Second stimulus check: Where Biden, Harris stand on COVID payment proposals
- No vote on restricting gathering sizes at Knox County Board of Health’s Aug. 12 meeting
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Cases rise by 1,478 and deaths are up 18 in state’s COVID-19 report
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports benchmark improvements Wednesday
- Tennessee store clerk attacked over mask: ‘They determined it was best to let me go’
- Scientists uneasy as Russia approves 1st coronavirus vaccine
- 2 men charged for throwing party at ‘The Fashion House’ in East Nashville
- More than 800 students in one Georgia school district quarantined after 1st week of classes
- 21-year-old Florida man recovers from mild COVID-19, then his organs began to fail
- 14-year-old contracts COVID-19, ‘I thought I was going to die’