NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) —Tennessee reported 670 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday — up 2,2% from the previous day — to bring the total to 31,830.
Deaths rose from Monday to 493, an increase of 10, the Tennessee Department of Health reported.
As of last week, the total number of COVID-19 cases will include both laboratory-confirmed cases and probable cases as defined in Centers for Disease Control and Prevention surveillance case definitions, according to a news release from the department.
Some 20,710 people have recovered from the virus. There have been 2,146 people hospitalized and 638,772 have been tested.
One of the places cases have begun to go up is in Sevier County.
Leon Downey, the director of tourism for Pigeon Forge told WATE 6 On Your Side’s Jordan Brown the increase in guests started around Memorial Day. Since then, the number of cases has slowly been creeping up from zero to less than 10 new cases per day, to 19 or more cases each day last week.
Downey said Sevier County’s economy thrives on tourism, so guests are always welcome, but businesses want to make sure that employees and visitors are safe.
Kroger said Tuesday that one of its employees who had worked at the Pigeon Forge location passed away after previously being diagnosed with COVID-19.
Cineworld, owners of Regal Cinemas, unveiled a plan Tuesday to reopen movie theaters across the world later this summer with U.S. locations reopening by July 10.
In Knox County, Hillcrest Healthcare reported Monday that two employees had tested positive for COVID-19; one employee works at Beverly Park Place and the second at West Hills Health and Rehab.
The number of COVID-19 patients in Tennessee hospitals hit a new record at more than 400, and more than twice that number could need beds in the weeks ahead, Vanderbilt University researchers reported Tuesday.
The Tennessee Department of Education announced Monday plans for releasing a series of guidance “toolkits” for school districts as officials look to reopen this fall.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party