NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — Tennessee reported 1,575 new coronavirus cases and 11 new COVID-19 related deaths on Thursday.
That brings the total case count to 46,890, up 3.5% — and deaths to 620, up 1.8%, from Wednesday, the Tennessee Department of Health reported..
The virus first reportedly arrived in the state in early March.
Some 28,938 people have recovered from the virus. There have been 2,775 people hospitalized and 838,084 have been tested.
Knox County, which has recorded record numbers of new cases in three of the past four days, reported its first COVID-19 related death since late April.
Despite legal concerns, the Knox County Board of Health responded to the rise in cases on Wednesday night with a resolution to mandate masks be worn in indoor public places beginning Friday. Notably, Knox County Mayor Glenn Jacobs voted against the measure and Knox County Sheriff Tom Spangler said he has no plans for his deputies to enforce it.
East Tennessee, which largely escaped rapid spikes from March through May, is now seeing cases explode.
One week case increases in selected East Tennessee counties
Anderson 24, up 30%
Blount 55, up 37%
Cocke 40, up 111%
Grainger, 14, up 56%
Hamblen 134, up 83%
Jefferson 41, up 51%
Knox 239, up 31%
Loudon 27, up 11%
Sevier 217, up 42%
Meanwhile, Nashville Mayor John Cooper announced Thursday that Nashville will move back into a modified version of Phase Two of the city’s road to reopening plan.
- Coronavirus Timeline: TN Dept. of Health reports over 108K total cases, while the state has performed over 1.5M tests
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Second stimulus checks: Progress slow on virus relief bill with $1,200 payments
- Wave of evictions expected as moratoriums end in many states
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Gov. Lee to call lawmakers into special session Aug. 10
- Knox County Mayor Jacobs: ‘The board has gone from being an advisory board to making policies”
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Sevier County extends mask mandate through Aug. 29
- Report: Tennessee COVID hospital stays up outside big metros
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Monday brings 1,009 new COVID-19 cases for total topping 110,000
- Casual Pint president defying bar closure order: ‘We’re going to come in every day at noon and unlock the doors’
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County Health Department explains reasoning behind bar closures, reports 12th death in 5 days
- Eagles coach Doug Pederson tests positive for COVID-19
- Fauci says he is ‘cautiously optimistic’ vaccine will be effective, available early 2021
- Staff member at Oak Ridge High School tests positive for COVID-19
- As a new week begins, here’s why you don’t have that second stimulus check