Preventing fireworks injuries

Caring For Our Kids

Many families are planning celebrations this weekend ahead of the Fourth of July holiday. If your plans include a fireworks show, health experts urge you to keep it safe. In fact the American Academy of Pediatrics continues to urge families not to buy fireworks for home use.  

The most common fireworks injuries include serious burns to the hands and face, along with eye injuries, according to Dr. Shannon Cohen with Children’s Hospital.

And, contrary to popular belief, sparklers are not safer. They can reach temperatures above 1,200 degrees, causing severe burns if touched to the skin. Cohen said little arms are simply too short to hold sparklers safely

Cohen said if you do choose to use fireworks at home, there are a few safety tips you should consider:

  • Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks
  • Point fireworks away from homes and keep away brush, leaves and flammable substances and materials
  • Stand several feet away from lit fireworks
  • Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that didn’t fully ignite
  • Always have a bucket of water or a fire extinguisher close by

If your child is injured by fireworks, Cohen said to remove burned clothing, unless it is stuck to skin. Then immediately go to the doctor or hospital.

If an eye injury occurs, don’t allow your child to touch or rub it. This can cause even more damage.

For more information follow links below.

Stay Safe this 4th of July

Fireworks Safety (Safe Kids Worldwide)

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

WATE 6 On Your Side Twitter