Janet K. Brown, 70, died at the scene as a result of the fire. Also, a 17-year-old female injured in the fire was transferred to Vanderbilt hospital, where she continues to recover. Her name has not been released.
The house fire was sparked by an electrical issue and ruled accidental in nature, the sheriff’s office said in a press release.
Blount County Fire Department and AMR Ambulance Service responded to call about a residential fire on Clendenen Road at 3 a.m., according to Blount County Sheriff Lee Berrong.
When police arrived, the house was “engulfed in flames.” Five of the victims were outside of the house and being treated for smoke inhalation.
The victims told firefighters that one family member was still inside the house during the fire. BCFD were unable to locate the family member.
After the fire was extinguished, BCFD found the family member inside of the house. The body was taken to the Knox County Regional Forensic Center for an autopsy.