KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – There are over 100 active student cases and over 400 University of Tennessee students and employees in self-isolation, according to the latest data released by school health officials.
Of the 110 active cases reported by the university on Thursday, 103 are students and the remaining seven cases are employees. The university reported 28 positive cases on campus last Wednesday, with students representing 20 of the cases.
The university has reported 113 recovered cases since June 8.
There are now 408 people in self-isolation, an increase of 31 from Wednesday. The school reported 327 of the 408 isolations are students, with 240 living off-campus and 87 on-campus residents. There are now 81 university employees in self-isolation.
University of Tennessee fall semester classes began Wednesday, Aug. 19.
During an update Tuesday, Chancellor Donde Plowman said the university traced a cluster of active cases to an off-campus party on Laurel Avenue that took place a week ago. The university defines a cluster as at least five connected cases or 20 people in self-isolation from one event.
Plowman warned that students that do not comply with university COVID-19 guidelines could face expulsion.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party