KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — Knoxville Police said a 22-year-old man has been charged with first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of his girlfriend.
According to a release from Knoxville Police, 22-year-old Caelan Greenfield called 911 to report that he had shot his girlfriend, 21-year-old Sage McElroy. Officers responded to the 7900 block of Gleason Drive around 12:30 a.m. Friday for the reported shooting.
The suspect left prior to the arrival of officers at the scene, where McElory was found deceased inside of her vehicle with a wound to the chest. The suspect returned to the scene while officers were still there and attempted to flee in a silver Hyundai. He was taken into custody without incident after a short pursuit.
During an interview with investigators, Greenfield stated that he and McElroy had been in a verbal argument, which continued until the victim was shot in the chest.
Greenfield has been charged with first-degree murder and evading arrest. He is being held at the Roger D. Wilson Detention Facility on a $250,000 bond.
This is a developing story and we’ll continue to update the details as they become available.
- Small earthquake reported in East Tennessee early Monday
- Blount County Schools to require masks for all students, faculty and visitors
- Knox County reports four COVID-19 new deaths as current hospitalizations remain at record-high
- The best Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart, Amazon, Target
- Beware of COVID-19 scams as vaccine approaches FDA approval