NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Almost 70,000 new unemployment claims were made in Tennessee last week, with East Tennessee once again accounting for the second-highest number of new claimants.
According to statistics released by The Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Thursday, 68,968 new unemployment claims were made in Tennessee during the week ending on April 18. More than 393,000 new unemployment claims have been filed in Tennessee over a five-week period.
The department reported the number of new claims for the week ending April 18 was 68,968. While that was down from the 74,772 new claims the previous week, the numbers were up dramatically from five weeks ago when approximately 2,702 claims were made for the week ending March 14.
17,222 new claims were made in East Tennessee, second-most only to the 29,065 new claims made in Northern Middle Tennessee.
- Tennessee’s unemployment claim certifications move to staggered scheduled
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Unemployment filers await supplemental checks
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party