KNOXVILLE (WATE) – The Better Business Bureau is issuing a warning about a Netflix phishing scam.
Con artists are using a fake website to get credit card or other personal information from Netflix subscribers. Users are targeted through a fake webpage that may resemble a Netflix login page.
Netflix users enter their account information and the fake website will claim that the user’s account has been suspended. A fake customer service number is provided and a “representative” recommends the user download the “Netflix support software,” which is remote login software that gives the fake representative full access to the user’s computer.
“Anything that sounds too good to be true, be very, very careful. Especially with email scams, they’re a dime a dozen these days,” said Jerry Tipton with Knoxville Better Business Bureau. “Unless you know who sent it to you delete it.”
The Better Business Bureau said there are three key indicators that consumers should look for to show an email involved in a scam is not from Netflix:
- The phone number is not Netflix. Instead the number belongs to a call center in another country, such as India.
- The webpage is a pop-up
- The “representative” wants to login to your computer via remote software.
Related: 6 On Your Side Answers: How to avoid ‘spear phishing’ scamsHere are some tips on how to avoid this scam and others like it:
- Never let someone login to your computer remotely. When someone logs in, they can do anything you can do on your computer. They can access anything including personal and financial information.
- Do not click links in emails. It is better to type the address in the search bar manually.
- If the URL seems odd, do not continue to go to the site. If it is a scam, it will most likely have an unusual URL. It will likely contain a common name but be accompanied by some jumbled letters or numbers.
- Always look up the company’s phone number on their website. If you need to call a company, look it up on their official website. This can make sure that you are calling a legitimate number.