UPDATE: Laurel Creek Road and Cades Cove Loop Road have reopened after a rock slide early Wednesday.
GATLINBURG, Tenn. (WATE) – A popular road in Great Smoky Mountains National Park has been temporarily blocked Wednesday after a rock slide.
Park officials said the opening of Cades Cove Loop Road would be delayed Thursday after a rock slide on Laurel Creek Road. There is no timetable for reopening at this time.
Great Smoky Mountains National Park launched vehicle-free Wednesdays in Cades Cove last week as part of a pilot study in order to improve the visitor experience.
- ‘Save Space Camp’ drive prompted by virus reaches $1.5M goal
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports 131 new virus cases, no new deaths
- Newsfeed Now: Stimulus bill battle continues; ‘Zombie cicadas’ in Tennessee
- Knox Sheriff: Got a problem with a bar? Don’t call the law
- From behind nursing home window, Colorado woman meets grandson she never knew