KNOXVILLE (WATE) – It won’t be long before school is out and kids are home for the summer.Related:Children could need a fast from ‘screen time’
Whether your kids are fans of canoeing near the Great Smoky Mountains, coloring arts and crafts, or kicking around the soccer ball with friends at sports camp, there is likely a camp that meets any child’s needs.
“This year we’re planning on summer camps,” said mom Rachel Dearing, who said keeping her kids busy is half the battle. “Whether it’s summer or school, they need structured activities. I think camps are a good thing for kids.”
In the summer, The Muse Knoxville puts on camps which focus on what they call S.T.E.A.M., which stands for science, technology, engineering, arts and math.
“One thing that we do at The Muse is we’re kind of fighting against that summer brain drain,” said Executive Director Ellie Kittrell. “We’re getting in some education and some curriculum in there, but it’s really fun, so the kids don’t necessarily know.”
Keeping the brain busy is also the goal at Camp Wesley Woods in Townsend.
“I think summer camps, whether [Camp Wesley Woods] or any of them, can really be life changing. It gives kids a chance to get away from mom and see who they are,” said Program Director Marianne Hubbs.
At Camp Wesley Woods kids can come to day camp or stay the night in cabins. They spend quality time outside hiking, swimming, building campfires and going to Bible study.
“Camp is a good place for children to be loved for who they are,” said Hubbs.
Camps, like Camp Wesley Woods and The Muse Knoxville, are not only good for kids, they’re good for parents who don’t want to spend an arm and a leg.
“I want to keep [my kids] doing something different, but yet affordable for both girls,” said parent Jacklyn McCarter.
- The Muse Knoxville‘s weeklong half day camp: $75 for members/$85 for non-members
- Camp Wesley Woods starts at $205 for weeklong day camps and $375 for weeklong overnight camps
Other East Tennessee Camps:
- Angela Floyd Schools Summer Dance Camps
- Bricks 4 Kidz
- Cedar Bluff Racquet Club
- City of Knoxville Summer Playground Program
- City of Knoxville Swimming Lessons
- Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont Camps
- Ijams Summer Camp
- Knoxville Racquet Club
- The Little Gym of Knoxville
- The Muse Knoxville
- Ninja Zone Training Program
- Onsight Rock Gym
- Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies
- School of Rock Knoxville
- Shades of Development
- Tate’s Day Camp
- Tennessee Jaycees’ Camp Discovery
- UT Garden Discovery Camps
- UT Kids U Camps
- UT Volunteer Your Voice
- UT 2016 Design Matters! Camp
- Zoo Knoxville
- YMCA Knoxville