UPDATE: State transportation officials confirmed Thursday that bridge repairs have been completed and I-40 W at the Tennessee-North Carolina state line has been reopened.
Drivers traveling into East Tennessee from North Carolina on Interstate 40 are having to take a 45-minute detour.
I-40 West near the Tennessee state line was closed Monday evening for emergency bridgework between mile markers 15 and 20.
The repairs on a 53-year-old bridge are expected to take up to five days.
The recommended detour from Asheville to Dandridge will add around 45 minutes to your drive with traffic redirecting up I-26 W to I-81 S into Tennessee.
- Police: Patron angered by ketchup pulls gun at McDonald’s
- Black bear caught on video in Gatlinburg parking garage
- LIVE TODAY: Southeastern Stream Live – SEC Championship Preview
- Former TN Army National Guard recruiter accused of sexual misconduct with juveniles
- Permanent hair dye, chemical straighteners may increase breast cancer risk