UPDATE: State transportation officials confirmed Thursday that bridge repairs have been completed and I-40 W at the Tennessee-North Carolina state line has been reopened.
Drivers traveling into East Tennessee from North Carolina on Interstate 40 are having to take a 45-minute detour.
I-40 West near the Tennessee state line was closed Monday evening for emergency bridgework between mile markers 15 and 20.
The repairs on a 53-year-old bridge are expected to take up to five days.
The recommended detour from Asheville to Dandridge will add around 45 minutes to your drive with traffic redirecting up I-26 W to I-81 S into Tennessee.
- Loudon County Sheriff’s Office investigating drowning of 14-year-old on Tellico Lake
- Sheriff: 3 charged in one of the ‘worst’ child abuse cases ever in Louisiana parish
- ‘Shame on you’: Protester interrupts Florida Gov. DeSantis during COVID-19 update
- Report: Father says he was in process of custody exchange when crash that killed 1-year-old occurred
- White House hosts event to share positive police stories as Congress works on reform