KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – The Knox County Health Department reported 24 new COVID-19 cases on Monday, bringing the total number of cases to 680.
“We saw a notable increase over the weekend and into today,” said Charity Menefee, director of communicable and environmental disease and emergency preparedness of the Knox County Health Department. “The increase is concerning.”
Knox County reported 135 active cases on Monday, up from 114 active cases reported on Sunday.
The increase in cases could be caused both by more activity as the community reopens and a failure to follow safety guidelines.
The total number of recovered COVID-19 cases grew to 540, up from 537 on Sunday. Recovered cases refer to those who have been released from isolation after seven days from their onset of symptoms, plus 72 hours of being symptom-free. Recovered does not mean necessarily the person had to be hospitalized.
There are four Knox County COVID-19 patients currently hospitalized. There have been five total deaths in Knox County from COVID-19.
Of the 680 cases, 58 of them have resulted in hospitalization at any point during the illness. There are 26 probable cases of COVID-19 listed on the county information page.
With cases on the rise, Menefee said it is more important than ever to follow the five guidelines:
- Wear a mask
- Phyiscally distance
- Sanitize surfaces
- Wash your hands frequently
- Stay at home if you are sick
Hospitalizations are also slowly on the rise and the availability of hospital beds is something the health dpeartment is watching very closely and is concerned about for the fall when there may be a “second wave” COVID-19 cases.
The Knox County Health Department updates its numbers daily at 11 a.m. Visit covid.knoxcountytn.gov for more information.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party