KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Knox County reported its 48th coronavirus-related death on Friday, the 43rd death in the county in the last 43 days.
The Knox County Health Department also reported 99 new cases on Friday, a 1.97% increase in the total case count from Thursday. The total number of cases so far is 5,134.
Health officials reported 90 new recoveries on Friday.
The latest death was of a 64-year-old man. Knox County has recorded 48 coronavirus-related deaths, 43 of which have occurred since July 2. There are 2,192 active COVID-19 cases in Knox County, up from 2,175 on Thursday.
Knox County has now reported less than 100 new daily cases in seven of the last nine days.
Of the 5,134 total confirmed cases reported in Knox County since the pandemic began, 229 of them have resulted in hospitalization at any point during the illness. There are 33 county patients currently hospitalized.
The number of recoveries is at 3,077. Recovered cases refer to those who have been released from isolation after 10 days from their onset of symptoms, plus 24 hours of being symptom-free. Recovered does not mean necessarily the person had to be hospitalized.
Knox County Health Department lists 183 probable cases of COVID-19 on the county website.
During a briefing Friday, Charity Menefee of the Knox County Health Department clarified how COIVD-19 cases at the University of Tennessee will be counted by counties. The UT cases will be counted in the county where the person with the case (student, staff or faculty) resides. A UT student who test positive and lives in Blount County wil be counted among the Blount County cases, Menefee said.
The Knox County Health Department updates its numbers daily at 11 a.m. Visit covid.knoxcountytn.gov for more information. Press briefings by Knox County Health Department will move to a Tuesday and Thursday schedule next week at 12:30 p.m.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party