KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — The University of Tennessee-Knoxville has identified another COVID-19 cluster, according to the latest data released by the school.
According to the University of Tennessee-Knoxville COVID-19 dashboard, there are 662 active cases at the university as of Wednesday. Of the 662 cases, 653 are students. The university reported 40 new active cases since Tuesday, a 6.4% rise in total active cases.
School officials have identified a COVID-19 cluster in the West Wing second floor of White Hall. The cluster occurred on Friday, Sept. 4.
The university defines a cluster as at least five positive cases or at least 20 close contacts as a result of one event or in one concentrated location.
Self-isolations grew from 2,014 to 2,023. There are 1,030 nonresidential students and 923 residential students currently in isolation. There are 70 university employees in isolation.
Residents at Massey Hall were informed on Tuesday they would have to move out to create more self-isolation space for COVID-19 positive or close contact students living on campus.
Last week, school officials identified several clusters linked to sororities.
Chancellor Donde Plowman on Tuesday also expressed displeasure with the “reckless” and “disturbing” actions of fraternities on campus.
Plowman said she is doubling the university’s contact tracing staff and adding staff to the Student Health Center and Dean of Students office.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party