KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — A shooting suspect is at large after a man was hospitalized and an elementary school was put on a brief lockdown Wednesday afternoon due to its proximity to a shooting in South Knoxville.
Knoxville Police responded to the 200 block of Stone Road just after 2 p.m. and found a man who was suffering from a gunshot wound next to a vehicle.
The suspect reportedly fled from the scene on foot and Mooreland Heights Elementary was put on lockdown due to its proximity to the incident. The suspect remains at large as of 6 p.m.
The victim was transported to UT Medical Center for treatment. His condition is unknown at this time.
- Gunman identified in Collierville Kroger shooting; victims now up to 15
- Bystander tackles minister accused of touching child inappropriately at Oklahoma bus stop
- LIVE Brian Laundrie manhunt: Search picks up at Carlton Reserve after FBI issues arrest warrant for Gabby Petito’s fiancé
- 17-year-old victim in Sept. 8 South Knoxville shooting dies
- Action that Brian Laundrie is accused of making during Gabby Petito disappearance led to FBI arrest warrant
Based on the evidence, KPD says the suspect and victim knew one another. The circumstances remain under investigation by KPD’s Violent Crime Unit.
This is a developing story. Download the WATE 6 News app for updates sent to your phone.