LAUDERDALE COUNTY, Tenn. — The daughter of a prison administrator killed during a prison escape in West Tennessee is now suing the state.
Shernaye Johnson accused the Tennessee Department of Corrections of negligence in the lawsuit. She said the department failed to properly secure or provide adequate staffing to protect her mother Debra Johnson’s home, which was on the grounds of the West Tennessee State Penitentiary.
Authorities say Curtis Watson killed the 64-year-old prison administrator as he escaped the facility last year.
Johnson’s daughter wants $5 million in damages.
- Authorities investigate blast at anti-gay California church
- Investigation underway after man died hours after getting COVID-19 vaccine
- GOP Rep. Madison Cawthorn, who contested election results, admits Biden victory wasn’t fraudulent
- Oklahoma lawmaker files bill for Bigfoot hunting season
- One person dead, another in critical condition after shooting at Cazzy’s Corner Grill