NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – The family of a deceased 11-year-old Alabama boy has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Publix Super Markets claiming he died as a result of severe allergic shock from eating a cookie after a store employee misled them about the ingredients.
The lawsuit says Derek Landon Wood died in June 2014 shortly after eating a chocolate chip cookie purchased at a Publix store in Clarksville.
The boy, who was visiting family in Tennessee, was allergic to tree nuts.
The suit says the store bakery did not post warnings about ingredients, and the mother only bought the cookie after a worker assured her it was safe.
A Publix spokeswoman declined to comment on the litigation but said in an email that the company posts allergen information at its bakeries.