A barbecue restaurant in Rocky Top has one of the lowest health inspection grades of the week, while a Knoxville hotel restaurant also scored low.
Kitchens at hotels where meals are served they’re inspected just like all other restaurant kitchens, also checked are the dining areas at those hotels.
The kitchen at the Embassy Suites Knoxville on Parkside Drive scored an 82. That’s a passing grade, but there are critical violations that could potentially lead to foodborne illness.
The inspector found beef thawing in standing water. You may do that at home, but standing water is not very cold. Frozen food should be thawed in a refrigerator at 41 degrees in order to slow bacteria growth. No hand sink was found in the pizza preparation area. When the food slicer was checked, the inspector writes it had not been cleaned or sanitized.
A reinspection is expected soon.
In Rocky Top, the Coal Creek Smokehouse and Bar-B-Q on Main Street scored an 82. A health inspection score below 70 is considered “unsanitary” by the health department.
When the inspector checked the dishwasher, there was no sanitizer running through it. A black residue was found in the nozzles of the soda fountain and the temperature of a potato casserole was too warm.
The inspector had 15 pounds of the casserole thrown away. When the microwave oven was checked, the inspector writes it was “very dirty.”
More online: Read this week’s full reports
Last week the grade was a 74 for the Red Hot Chili Dog, it’s a mobile unit. The cart has been reinspected and all the problem were corrected with a new score of 100.
There a lot of high health inspection grades across East Tennessee to report. Here at the best scores of the week:
- Subway, 10631 Chapman Hwy in Seymour, 100
- Waffle House, 2118 Hwy 441 S in Maryville, 100
- Firehouse Subs, 419 S. Washington St. in Maryville, 100
- Firehouse Subs, 4916 Kingston Pike in Knoxville, 100
- McDonald’s, 322 Merchants Rd in Knoxville, 100
- Krispy Kreme, 1710 Cumberland Ave in Knoxville, 100
- Wing Stop, 4865 N. Broadway in Knoxville, 100
- Burger King, 1040 Oak Ridge Turnpike in Oak Ridge, 100
- Ole Red, 511 Parkway in Gatlinburg, 98
- The Soup Kitchen, 47 E. Tennessee Ave in Oak Ridge, 98
- McDonald’s, 1419 5th Street in Jellico, 98