Two restaurants scored low health inspection grades this week while a dozen eateries received high grades.
One of the restaurants is in West Knoxville, serving Asian-style food. The other is a sports bar in Sevier County.
Ghost Bar, 815 Parkway – Grade: 77
The health department considers a score below 70 as “unsanitary.”
Here is a violation we’ve never reported before – there was no trace of the mandatory disclosure, or reminder, in the menu at the Ghost Bar that you could order food, like burgers or eggs, cooked to your directions.
When the inspector checked the cooler, he found multiple heads of rotten lettuce. The produce was promptly thrown away.
When quizzed, the person in charge was not familiar with the health rules. However, the manager is required to know the regulations and pass them down to employees.
The Ghost Bar will soon be reinspected.
Rice King, 12564 Kingston Pike – Old Grade: 78, New Grade: 91
No soap was found at kitchen hand sinks, as is required so everyone can properly wash their hands. There was also no sanitizer in the kitchen. As a result, employees couldn’t properly clean and sanitize customer tables.
Food temperatures were off. The buffet rice was at 126 degrees and chicken at the buffet 131. A temperature of 135 degrees and above is the proper temperature to properly slow bacteria growth.
Rice King has since been reinspected, the original grade of 78 has been upgraded to a 91.
Restaurant inspections are conducted every six months and they’re unannounced.
MORE ONLINE | View the full inspection report
No reinspections are needed at the high scoring restaurants.
Here are the best grades of the week:
• Litton’s Market and Restaurant, 2803 Essary Rd – Grade: 100
• Sweet P’s Bar-BQ, 410 E. Jackson Avenue – Grade: 100
• Chipotle, 4829 N Broadway – Grade: 100
• China Wok, 10721 Chapman Highway – Grade: 100
• Uncle Buck’s Grill, 3629 Outdoor Sportsman Pl. – Grade: 100
• Burgermaster, 8439 Highway 73 – Grade: 100
• Bray’s Bar BQ, 1202 Tri-County Blvd – Grade: 100
• FuJi Asian Cuisine, 902 N. Charles Seivers Blvd – Grade: 100
• Campfire Coffee, 108 E. Central Ave. – Grade: 100
• Mr. Wok, 725 Clinch Avenue – Grade: 100
• Bojangles’, 5290 Davy Crockett Parkway – Grade: 100
• Long’s Drug Store, 4604 Kingston Pike – Grade: 99