The poor health inspection grades this week ranged from the mid-70s and below. Inspectors had to do a lot of coaching and on-the-spot teaching while checking local restaurants.
Osaka Hibachi and Sushi, 3349 Sutherland Ave. – Grade: 71, New Grade: 90
A grade below 70 is considered unsanitary by the health department.
This is the lowest grade of the week. Here, the health inspector found live roaches in the restaurant and ordered the manager to call the restaurant’s pest control company immediately.
In the walk-in cooler, food was found stored on the floor. Also, when the health inspector checked the soda spigots, there was a heavy build-up of mold on them.
For the food itself, some food temperatures were way off. Chicken was at 96 degrees, some vegetables were at 57 degrees, which are ideal for bacteria growth.
There were also no paper towels at hand-washing sink, which is a requirement, and the ladies room toilet was not working.
Upon re-inspection, Osaka Hibachi and Sushi scored a 90.
Waffle House, 507 Lovell Rd. – Grade: 75, New Grade: 99
The Waffle House at 507 Lovell Rd. has the next-lowest health inspection grade at 75 this week.
That’s a passing score, but there were critical violations.
At this Waffle House, the water temperature for the dishwasher was not hot enough. The final sanitizing rinse must be at least 180 degrees. As it turns out, the dishwasher needed repairs, which could explain why the temperature was off.
In between performing different tasks in the kitchen, the cook didn’t wash her hands as required. That issue was corrected on the spot.
And, the Lovell Road Waffle House has been re-inspected. The original grade of 75 has been upgraded to a 99.
Sullivan’s Fine Food Restaurant, 7545 Northshore Dr. – Grade: 76 New Grade: 96
Again, that’s a passing grade.
The inspector watched a food worker touch her hair while preparing food, but she didn’t wash her hands in between.
Also, servers were observed bussing tables then going into the kitchen to prepare some food plates without washing their hands.
Finally, meat loaf was a 120 degrees. But 135 is the correct hot temperature to prevent the growth of bacteria.
Sullivan’s Fine Food Restaurant has also been in-inspected, the old score of 76 is now a 96.
The top scoring restaurants of the week will not need to be checked a second time.
Here are the best grades:
- Five Guys, 7531 Barnett Way, Powell – 100.
- Chick-Fil-A, 540 E. Emory Rd., Powell – 100.
- Wings Xpress, 5227 Clinton Hwy, Knoxville – 100.
- Corner 16, 1640 Bob Kirby Road, Knoxville – 100.
- Jersey Mike’s Subs, 2415 University Commons Way, Knoxville – 99.
- Nixon’s Deli, 5716 Kingston Pike, Knoxville – 99.
- Sonic Drive-In, 5722 Kingston Pike, Knoxville – 99.
- Chicken Salad Chick, 8008 Kingston Pike, Knoxville – 99.
- McDonald’s, 2812 E. Magnolia Ave., Knoxville – 99.
- Firehouse Subs 2431 Callahan Rd., Knoxville – 99.
- Salsarita’s Fresh Cantina, 6645 Clinton Hwy, Knoxville – 99.
- La Fiesta Mexican Restaurant, 5707 Western Ave., Knoxville – 99.