A family-style restaurant and a breakfast bar have failing health inspection grades in Knox County this week. The two restaurants that scored inspection grades in the 60s recorded a number of risk violations – issues that could potentially cause foodborne illness.
Rodeway Inn Breakfast, 11717 Campbell Lakes Drive – Grade: 64
The lowest grade of the week is a 64 at the breakfast bar at the Rodeway Inn in West Knoxville. A score below 70 is considered unsanitary by the health department.
When the inspector discovered the breakfast staff didn’t know the proper way to wash, rinse and sanitize dishes and utensils, some on-the-spot training was conducted.
Some food and drinks ready to be served were not hot enough. Milk was at 57 degrees, but 41 and below is the required cool temperature to slow bacteria growth.
More online: Read this week’s full inspection reports
The inspector also wrote that the kitchen was dirty and when she looked inside the microwave, it was also dirty.
Casa Don Gallo, 7741 S. Northshore Drive – Original Grade: 65, New Grade: 94
Here, the inspector wrote that the person in charge, the manager, was not aware of the health safety rules. On-the-spot training was given.
Employees were not aware of illness symptoms. They, too, were trained.
The water temperature of the dishwasher was 90 degrees, which was not hot enough. A temperature of 120 is required. There was also no chlorine running through the dishwasher for the dishes and utensils to be properly sanitized.
The inspector has returned for a reinspection and the original grade of 65 has been upgraded to 94.
Old Harbor Seafood Kitchen, West Town Mall – Original Grade: 72, New Grade: 94
That’s a passing grade, but there were violations.
The inspector found that utensils were not cleaned properly. Cole slaw had no date mark on it. The date of first use is required to maintain the food’s freshness and eliminate guessing.
Also, an open bag of food was stored on the floor, which is the wrong place.
Old Harbor Seafood Kitchen was reinspected and the new grade is 94.
Top Scores of the Week:
- Taco Bell, 7414 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Chick fil-A, 11068 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Mind Yer P’s & Q’s, 12744 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Menchies, 11162 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Scrambled Jake’s Breakfast Company, 7428 Northshore Drive – Grade: 100
- Steamboat Sandwiches, 2423 N. Central Street – Grade: 100
- Subway, 7300 Norris Freeway – Grade: 100
- Maggie’s Corner Cafe, 4101 Clinton Highway – Grade: 100
- Harby’s Pizza & Deli, 3718 Walker Boulevard – Grade: 99
- Panda Express, 11480 Parkside Drive – Grade: 99
- Goodness to Go, 7664 Northshore Drive – Grade: 99
- Pizza Hut, 7017 Kingston Pike – Grade: 99