When a restaurant receives critical violations, they’re called risk factors which could lead to foodborne illness, there’s a follow-up inspection. We’ll see them in a moment.
The lowest grade of the week is a 63 from Calhoun’s Bar-B-Q Barn Restaurant at 10020 Kingston Pike. A score below 70 is considered unsanitary by the health department.
The cook was observed touching ready to eat food with his bare hands. Gloves are required of all employees handling food.
The cook also stored a drink next to a food preparation table. Restaurants drinks are supposed kept far from food to prevent accidents.
Additionally, the person in charge was unaware of employee health symptoms. The manager is supposed to have a grasp of them and pass them along to the workers.
Finally, an unlabeled chemical spray bottle was found. Its contents should have been written on the bottle as no guesswork is allowed.
The inspector has returned to Calhoun’s BBQ Barn Restaurant. The original failing grade of 63 has been upgraded to 93
The next lowest grade is a 76 at Double Dogs, the one at 8910 Kingston Pike. That’s a passing grade, here are the violations.
There are several temperature violations. Pasta at 50 degrees was not cool enough to slow bacteria growth. 41 and below is required.
The water temperature of the dishwasher was ten degrees under the 120-degree temperature required to properly wash, clean and sanitize dishes and silverware.
Lastly, the cheese grater was not properly cleaned. Bits of cheese aren’t supposed to be left behind in the grater.
The Double Dogs at 8910 Kingston Pike has also been reinspected. That original grade of 76 is now a 96.
Plenty of high health inspection scores around East Tennessee to report. Here at the best grade of the week:
- Barley’s Taproom and Pizzeria, 128 Broadway Avenue, 100
- Pizza Hut,1570 Oak Ridge Turnpike, 100.
- Dickey’s Barbecue Pit, 10853 Hardin Valley Road, 100.
- The Drawing Room, 531 Henley Street, 100.
- Taco Bell, 7211 Strawberry Plains Pike, 100
- Clanton’s BBQ, 2507 John Sevier Highway, 100
- O’Charley’s, 8077 Kingston Pike, 100
- The Fox and Hound, 127 Fox & Hound Way, 99
- Hardee’s, 2105 E. Broadway Avenue, 99
- Waffle House, 1116 Highway 321 N. Lenoir City, 99
- IHOP, 3636 Parkway, 98
- Paula Deen’s Family Kitchen, 131 Island Drive, 97
Restaurant inspections are unannounced and are conducted every six months. They’re a snapshot of conditions at the time of the inspection.