KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — Issues that could lead to contamination and employees unaware of heath guidelines lead to a Powell restaurant failing its health inspection.
El Mariachi Loco, 603 Emory Road – Grade: 69
El Mariachi Loco on East Emory Road in Powell scored a 69. The health department considers a grade below 70 as “unsanitary.”
Several employees were unaware of the health rules.
The inspector watched a kitchen worker prepare food with his bare hands, a restaurant violation. Gloves are required to protect food from potential contamination.
An employee was also snacking on potato chips and sipping from an open drink cup. Employees must cover their drinks and eat away from prep areas to prevent their food to end up in served food.
Food temperature was another issue.
The roast was at 47 degrees, but 41 and below is the safe cool temperature to prevent bacteria growth.
In the refrigerator, raw chicken was stored above ready-to-eat beef. Raw chicken can be filled with bacteria.
Top scores of the week:
- Cracker Barrel, 1839 S. Roane St., Harriman – Grade: 100
- Shoney’s, 1809 S. Roane St., Harriman – Grade: 100
- Pizza Hut, 1624 S. Roane St., Harriman – Grade: 100
- Shady Rest Junction, 7387 Plateau Road, Crossville – Grade: 100
- Wendy’s, 1219 Oak Ridge Turnpike, Oak Ridge – Grade: 100
- Blaze Fast Fire’d Pizza, 113 Peters Road – Grade: 100
- Bella Hibachi & Sushi, 176 Kelsey Lane, Lenoir City – Grade: 99
- Ruby Tuesday, 523 Patriot Drive, Dandridge – Grade: 99
- Salsarita’s Fresh Mexican Grill, 140 Hatfield Drive, Morristown – Grade: 99
- Gondolier Italian, 116 Tanner Place, Clinton – Grade: 99
- Papa Dom’s Pizza, 1885 Louisville Road, Alcoa – Grade: 99
- Pizza Hut, 2145 Jacksboro Pike, LaFollette – Grade: 99