KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — Uncleaned hands, possible contamination issues and food with unmarked dates led to low scores at two restaurants this week, including one in Morristown that failed its inspection.
The health inspector found quite a few critical violations at the Hamblen County restaurant.
Los Caporales, 1524 Buffalo Trail, Morristown – Grade: 68
Los Caporales scored a 68. The health department considers a grade below 70 as “unsanitary.”
A kitchen worker was seen forgetting to wash his hands before putting on gloves as required. The inspector watched the work put chips on a customer’s plate with unwashed hands.
In the dining room tables were being cleaned with an unsanitized dry cloth. Customer’s tables are supposed to be wiped off using a wet sanitized cloth.
In the refrigerators, cooked ham had no date mark on it. A date of first use is required. The manager did not know when the ham was first opened.
The inspector also writes no shell stock tags were available to check for shellfish that’s served at the restaurant. The manager was unable to locate the required tags which show the origin, quantity, and date of harvest.
A reinspection is expected soon.
House of Dragon, 1907 Cumberland Ave. – Grade: 72
On Cumberland Avenue, the House of Dragon scored a 72. That’s a passing score.
While employees are allowed a drink cup, the cup has to have a lid and straw to prevent any accidental spills onto customer’s food.
Elsewhere, no sanitizer was being used to clean utensils. Also, a wiping cloth used to clean tables had no sanitizer solution on it. A followup inspection is expected soon.
Top scores of the week:
- Mr. Gatti’s, 6903 Maynardville Highway – Grade: 100
- Applebee’s, 2916 Knoxville Center Drive – Grade: 100
- Subway, 7300 Norris Freeway – Grade: 100
- Wee Zee’s BBQ, 2621 Decatur Pike, Athens – Grade: 100
- Cracker Barrel, 3960 Parkway, Pigeon Forge – Grade: 100
- Pizza Hut, 3710 Parkway, Pigeon Forge – Grade: 100
- Hard Rock Cafe, 2050 Parkway, Pigeon Forge – Grade: 100
- Smoky Mountain Pancake House, 4050 Parkway, Pigeon Forge – Grade: 100
- Shoney’s 3164 Parkway, Pigeon Forge – Grade: 100
- Townsend Pancake House, 7767 Lamar Alexander Parkway – Grade: 100
- Dixon’s BBQ365 Abel Ave., Decatur – Grade: 100
- Michael’s Family Diner – 2187 Trent Valley, Sneedville – Grade: 98
- Gas company on the scene of leak in Morristown neighborhood
- Kansas City Chiefs, VFL Trey Smith gives shoes to Big Brothers Big Sisters of East Tennessee
- 68,000-square-foot rehabilitation hospital opens in Knoxville
- Police searching for man who tried to get into Inskip Pool cash register
- Background checks blocked a record high 300,000 gun sales in 2020