The lowest scoring restaurant of the week received a number of violations that could potentially lead to foodborne illness if not corrected.
Drake’s, 242 Morrell Road – Original Grade: 64, New Grade: 99
The health department considers a score below 70 as unsanitary.
In his report, the inspector wrote that employees were not aware of the five symptoms of illness, which they’re supposed to know so they don’t come to work sick.
The inspector found unapproved drink cups. Employees can sip drinks, but the cup is required to have a lid as well as a straw to prevent the contents from potentially spilling onto customers’ food.
More online: Read this week’s inspection reports
Cooked onions were at 90 degrees, which is too cool. A temperature of 135 or above is required to kill bacteria.
Toxic chemicals were found stored in the sushi area. Chemicals are supposed to be kept in a separate location away from food.
Drake’s was reinspected and the original grade was upgraded to 99.
Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen, 8390 Kingston Pike – Original Grade: 70, New Grade: 95
Here, the cook did not wash his hands after handling raw hamburger. That raw piece of meat was likely filled with bacteria. Hand washing is required before handling any other food.
Some food equipment had not been taken apart and cleaned properly.
Again, employees were not aware of illness symptoms. The inspector did some on-the-spot training.
Cheddar’s was reinspected and upgraded to a 95.
Top Scores of the Week:
- Barley’s Taproom, 2001 E. Jackson Avenue – Grade: 100
- Awaken Coffee, 125 W. Jackson Avenue – Grade: 100
- Old City Java, 109 S. Central Avenue – Grade: 100
- Taqueria La Herradura, 2825 Broadway – Grade: 100
- Noble Kava, 1328 Broadway – Grade: 100
- Extreme Sports Bar & Grill, 3017 Magnolia Avenue – Grade: 100
- Wok N Roll, 2828 Magnolia Avenue – Grade: 100
- Jazzy Lynn’s Restaurant, 4680 Holston Drive – Grade: 100
- Change Center Cafe, 203 Harriett Tubman Street – Grade: 100
- Papa John’s Pizza, 7036 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Domino’s Pizza, 2104 Cumberland Avenue – Grade: 100
- Gus’ Fried Chicken, 3101 Sutherland Avenue – Grade: 99