The inspector reported a number of risk factor violations at the lowest scoring restaurant in Knox County.
Rosati’s Pizza, 234 Brookview Center Way – Original Grade: 68, New Grade: 89
A score below 70 is considered unsanitary by the health department.
When the inspector looked inside the ice bin, it was dirty. The report says the bin was filled with an unknown black contaminant. The nozzles on the fountain drinks were also dirty.
The inspector found expired date marks on some ready-to-eat food. Date marking is a means of controlling bacteria. Food must be thrown away within seven days, which means the day it is prepared or open plus six days.
The inspector also found multiple fruit flies buzzing around the kitchen.
The inspector has returned and the new grade is 89.
More online: Read this week’s full reports
Fulin Asian Cuisine, 2060 Town Center Boulevard – Original Grade: 70, New Grade: 93
The inspector wrote that the manager was not aware of employee health rules. The manager is required to know them and pass them along to employees.
Employees are required to wash their hands with soap, but no soap was found at one of the sinks.
When checked, a food slicer was dirty and raw beef was found over ready-to-eat food. You might do that at home, but raw food in restaurant refrigerators is not supposed to be kept over ready-to-eat food.
The inspector returned and the grade has been upgraded to 93.
Moe’s Southwest Grill, 9450 S. Northshore Drive – Original Grade: 73, New Grade: 98
The temperature of rice was 120 degrees, but that’s not hot enough to kill bacteria. A temperature of 135 and above is the correct hot holding temperature.
Employees were seen eating in the food preparation area. You can’t do that at a restaurant.
Unwashed produce was stored over ready-to-eat food, again creating the possibility of cross-contamination.
Upon reinspection, Moe’s grade went up to a 98.
Top Scores of the Week:
- Bonefish Grill, 6610 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Quiznos, 1517 White Avenue – Grade: 100
- Firehouse Subs, 5226 N. Broadway – Grade: 100
- Fittest Kitchen & Health Factory, 2900 Alcoa Highway – Grade: 100
- Sunrise Market & Deli, 8802 Tazewell Pike – Grade: 100
- Marco’s Pizza, 3018 Tazewell Pike – Grade: 99
- Bojangles, 3813 Broadway – Grade: 99
- Little Caesar’s Pizza, 7116 Maynardville Highway – Grade: 99
- Arby’s, 400 Cedar Bluff Road – Grade: 99
- Bruster’s Real Ice Cream, 906 E .Emory Road – Grade: 99
- Baskin-Robbins, 11051 Parkside Drive – Grade: 99
- Firehouse Subs, 128 Buckingham Road – Grade: 98