KNOXVILLE (WATE) – A former University of Tennessee football player was recently diagnosed with COVID-19.
VFL Chavis Smith is back home following a stay in the hospital, and he’s opening up about the diagnosis.
“The chills, the shakes, the body aches. My temperature flew up to like almost 104, something like that. So, it was rough,” said Smith.
Smith says he’s feeling much better. He’s back home and in quarantine after spending a few days in the hospital.
It was there, he says, that he got his positive test.
“I literally thought I was dying. I was like oh my God, I cannot breathe, I felt like someone was suffocating me, it was so bad. My wife was like ‘Hey you know what, let’s go to the emergency room.'” Smith said. “They put me on some IV, started giving me steroid shots put me on oxygen. I started feeling better, moving around a lot better.”
Smith says the experience taught him a valuble lesson.
“It made me realize life is way too important to not wear a mask or do the simple things to try to prevent others from getting sick,” said Smith.
He now has a message to pass along.
“Do whatever you can to keep people safe. I look at my situation, and I’m like, I have a family and kids, I want to live a long life with them. I want them to live a long life. If I can do that to help that happen, or better their chances, by all means, I’ll do it. If wearing a mask can prevent someone from being sick, then yes, do that. Take it serious,” he said.
Smith says he still has about 10 days of quarantine left.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party