GREENEVILLE, Tenn. (WJHL) — Greene County Mayor Kevin Morrison tells News Channel 11 that he plans to issue a mandate requiring the use of face masks to curb the spread of COVID-19.
Morrison said his plan is to enact a mask mandate for the county beginning Wednesday morning.
“After careful consideration and receiving very alarming and troubling statistics from Ballad Health system on the near tripling of hospitalization cases in our area, along with the fact that our school officials are working diligently to open schools, and as we look to keep businesses open and our economy from closing once again, it is necessary to enact a mask mandate or facial covering mandate for Greene County to assist in curbing the dramatic rise in cases across our community,” Morrison said in a message.
Ballad Health sent a letter to local mayors on Monday encouraging them to enact mask mandates.
- Coronavirus Timeline: TN Dept. of Health reports over 126K total cases, along with over 1,200 deaths
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports two new deaths, 132 new recoveries
- Hawkins County extends mask mandate through August 29
- Tennessee defends COVID-19 response to oversight chair
- Second stimulus check: Where Biden, Harris stand on COVID payment proposals
- No vote on restricting gathering sizes at Knox County Board of Health’s Aug. 12 meeting
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Cases rise by 1,478 and deaths are up 18 in state’s COVID-19 report
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports benchmark improvements Wednesday
- Tennessee store clerk attacked over mask: ‘They determined it was best to let me go’
- Scientists uneasy as Russia approves 1st coronavirus vaccine
- 2 men charged for throwing party at ‘The Fashion House’ in East Nashville
- More than 800 students in one Georgia school district quarantined after 1st week of classes
- 21-year-old Florida man recovers from mild COVID-19, then his organs began to fail
- 14-year-old contracts COVID-19, ‘I thought I was going to die’