KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Firefighters with Knoxville Fire Department were at the scene of a residential fire Thursday afternoon.
The fire was located in the 2000 block of Woodbine Avenue.
According to KFD, at 12:07 p.m. Thursday, KFD units were dispatched to 2329 Woodbine Avenue for report of a possible house fire, called in by an alert neighbor.
When firefighters arrived they found heavy smoke coming from the rear portion of the home, where electrical utilities feed into the structure.
No tenants were home at the time firefighters arrived, so “forcible tactics were used to gain entry,” KFD said.
Once inside, through a scuttle hole in the ceiling, firefighters were able to locate flames that had climbed the exterior wall into the attic. A Fire Investigator pointed out a break in the neutral aluminum wire near the weatherhead above the electrical meter, which he believes a squirrel may have chewed through, causing the fire.
No injuries were reported.
KFD also shared a safety tip from the incident: From the ground, look overhead at the electrical line from the utility pole to the weather head of your home. If you happen to notice a break in any wiring between the two, immediately kill the power to your home and notify your utility provider.
WATE 6 On Your Side is working to learn more and will update as additional details are made available.
- 2 innocent bystanders shot when suspect opens fire inside Opelousas restaurant
- Investigation launched after body found in a wooded area of South Knox County, per KCSO
- 6 killed, including 3 children, in I-95 crash in Liberty County
- AMBER Alert update: TBI chase down 300 leads; sheriff’s office warns against social media misinformation; Evelyn Boswell still missing
- Henrico toddler walks again after being shot in the head during drive-by shooting: ‘It’s a miracle’