Authorities identify victim in Kingston home explosion


KINGSTON, Tenn. (WATE) – UPDATE: The Kingston Police Department has identified Steven Dowker as the victim in a home explosion early Monday morning. Dowker remains in the hospital receiving treatment for his injuries.

The investigation remains ongoing and further details will be released as they become available.

EARLIER: Authorities are investigating after a home explosion with injuries was reported in Kingston Monday morning.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, Kingston Police, and area fire crews are working a house explosion in the 700 block of Gallaher Road, according to 9th Judicial District Attorney General Russell Johnson.

Injuries were reported, according to the Roane County Sheriff’s Office. Kingston Police Captain Tony Guy confirmed a 24-year-old was hospitalized in the explosion. Their condition is unknown at this time.

“We’ve had out drone up in the air getting aerial photographs trying to find out how big of an area we have as far as debris and stuff of that nature,” Capt. Guy said, “The TBI’s bomb and arson is on scene as well as our local DA’s office.”

A photo of a fiery explosion was captured by motorist at about 4:15 a.m. and submitted to Attorney General Johnson.

Many nearby homes were damaged as a result of the explosion, according to Kingston Police. Debris from the explosion has been found several hundred yards from the residence. The department is utilizing a drone to access the large-scale field of debris.

“The shock wave, their still doing some measurements and stuff of that nature, but we have had residents contact us that as far as two miles away, that it woke (them) up last night. We got several residents in the area, up to 3 and 400 yards away that’s got broken windows and damage and stuff of that nature,” Guy said.

Penny Scott lives nearby. She sustained damage to her home as a result of the explosion. Three of her windows were blown in, broken glass was strewn about inside and outside of her property. She says she heard the boom around 4:15 Monday morning. She thought it was an earthquake.

“I just heard a big boom and my whole house shook and then I just got up and looked at the windows and I noticed my windows were busted.” Scott said.

She and her children were not harmed.

Kingston Police cleared the scene around 3:30 p.m.

Guy said with this type of investigation, finding the cause will take a while.

“Sometimes you can finish it up in a month, sometimes it takes longer. Who knows? You know, if there’s stuff that has to go to the crime lab to be analyzed, stuff of that nature, or to special facilities to be processed, then that can take more time,” Guy said.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

WATE 6 On Your Side Twitter

WATE 6 Storm Weather School
A Paw-sitive Note