KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Knox County reported over 400 new daily COVID-19 cases for the first time on Tuesday, in addition to reporting five new COVID-19-related deaths.
Knox County reported 437 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, marking the first time Knox County Health Department has reported more than 400 new cases in a single day.
It’s the biggest one-day increase since the onset of the pandemic, topping the previous record of 373 reported on November 17. Knox County confirmed its first COVID-19 case on March 12. Between March 12 and June 2, Knox County reported 433 total COVID-19 cases.
The active case count grew to 2,578 on Tuesday with 291 new active cases reported. The number of Knox County residents currently hospitalized due to COVID-19 remained at 126, a record-high.
KCHD has reported 172 coronavirus-related deaths since the pandemic hit Knox County in March, 166 of those have happened since July 2.
Reported Knox County deaths by month
- December: 5 deaths
- November: 62 deaths
- October: 21 deaths
- September: 26 deaths
- August: 19 deaths
- July: 35 deaths
The inactive case count grew by 151 since Monday for a total of 17,276 in the county.
As of Sept. 4, KCHD reports “inactive” cases instead of “recovered” cases. Inactive cases include those who are 14 days or more beyond their illness onset date or, for asymptomatic cases, their specimen collection date. This is in alignment with the Tennessee Department of Health.
Of the 18,938 total confirmed Knox County cases reported since the pandemic began, 593 of them have resulted in hospitalization. There are 1,088 probable cases listed on the Health Department dashboard.
KCHD updates its numbers daily at 11 a.m. Visit covid.knoxcountytn.gov for more information. Press briefings by the Knox County Health Department are on Tuesday and Thursday. Briefings begin at 12:30 p.m.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party