KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — A South Knoxville apartment building sustained heavy damage after a fire started near a bed Wednesday afternoon, according to Knoxville Fire Department Asst. Chief Mark Wilbanks.
After further investigation, the fire was believed to be an electrical malfunction, according to Wilbanks.
Crews responded to the scene of the fire at building Q of the Henley Apartments on Highwood Court. There were reports of heavy fire in the unit.
Wilbanks said the large fire extended from the first floor to the second floor. Firefighters attempted to extinguish the fire from the inside but were unsuccessful.
Crews were able to extinguish the fire around 4:11 p.m. by conducting “exterior defensive operations.”
“The building sustained heavy smoke, water, and fire damage to over half of the structure. The remaining portion of the building has suffered moderate smoke damage. The Q building has 14 total units,” Wilbanks said.
He added that one resident in the building was able to pull an alarm pull station. The residents of the building were able to escape. One firefighter is being evaluated for injuries from the overhaul.
The American Red Cross is assisting displaced residents.