KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – The number of Knox County residents currently hospitalized due to COVID-19 reached a new high Monday, as four more deaths were also reported.
There are 99 Knox County residents currently hospitalized due to COVID-19, surpassing a previous high of 91 reported on November 18.
The Knox County Health Department reported the deaths along with 169 new COVID-19 cases. That brings the active case count to 2,332 after 32 new active cases were reported Monday.
There have been 47 deaths from COVID-19 reported in Knox County this month, surpassing July’s high of 35.
KCHD has reported 152 coronavirus-related deaths since the pandemic hit Knox County in March, 146 of those have happened since July 2.
Reported Knox County deaths by month
- November: 47 deaths
- October: 21 deaths
- September: 26 deaths
- August: 19 deaths
- July: 35 deaths
The inactive case count grew by 137 for a total of 15,533 in the county.
As of Sept. 4, KCHD reports “inactive” cases instead of “recovered” cases. Inactive cases include those who are 14 days or more beyond their illness onset date or, for asymptomatic cases, their specimen collection date. This is in alignment with the Tennessee Department of Health.
Of the 17,081 total confirmed Knox County cases reported since the pandemic began, 562 of them have resulted in hospitalization. There are 936 probable cases listed on the Health Department dashboard.
Knox County Health Department will offer free COVID-19 testing Monday and Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 140 Dameron Ave. Testing will be held from 9 a.m.- 12 p.m. on Wednesday.
KCHD will be closed to the public Thursday, November 26 and Friday, November 27. There will not be testing on these two days, nor will the phone bank be operational.
KCHD updates its numbers daily at 11 a.m. Visit covid.knoxcountytn.gov for more information. Press briefings by the Knox County Health Department are on Tuesday and Thursday. Briefings begin at 12:30 p.m.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party