KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – The Knoxville Center Mall is set to permanently close its doors this Friday.
The mall officially announced its closure back in October. Knoxville Center Mall, previously known as East Towne Mall, opened to the public in 1984. The space has served the community for the last 35 years.
Official: Knoxville Center Mall to close after 35 years for redevelopment
This after anchor stores like Belk and JC Penney left. The only two stores that are still open this week were Regal Tuxedo and Lens Crafters.
PREVIOUS: Some optimistic about future of Knoxville Center Mall despite store closures
While many fear Belk closing is the end of the Knoxville Center Mall, Justin Cazana, a principal with Avison Young, the company that manages the property, said he’s optimistic about the mall’s future, adding the mall is “far from being done.”
- Retired Marine participates in Ruck March Challenge
- Lady Vols comeback falls short, Tennessee’s season ends in the Sweet 16
- ‘Ant-Man,’ ‘Creed III’ star Jonathan Majors arrested, charged with assault
- Knoxville Police ask for help finding missing teen
- Group of 40 cleaned the river ahead of fishing tournament