MARSHALL, N.C. (AP) – Authorities say a Knoxville woman died in a kayaking incident on the Laurel River in North Carolina.
Madison County Emergency Management coordinator Louis Roberts says 31-year-old April Morton died Sunday after getting stuck underneath a tree in the water.
Morton is from Knoxville and was identified as an experienced kayaker by American Whitewater, a national river conservation nonprofit.
Roberts says when EMS arrived at the river, Morton was receiving CPR from medical personnel who were kayaking in the vicinity.
Roberts says Morton was going through a rapid and didn’t see the tree because of elevated water levels. The investigation is ongoing.
- East TN school districts keeping potential coronavirus impacts on their radar
- The Business Buzz: Fanatic Brewing Company grand opening this weekend
- HCSO: Man charged after biting deputy twice
- Lady Vols take down Ole Miss 77-66 on senior night
- KFC employee in Yadkinville, N.C. tells News Channel 11 she reported possible Evelyn sighting to TBI on Tuesday