MARSHALL, N.C. (AP) – Authorities say a Knoxville woman died in a kayaking incident on the Laurel River in North Carolina.
Madison County Emergency Management coordinator Louis Roberts says 31-year-old April Morton died Sunday after getting stuck underneath a tree in the water.
Morton is from Knoxville and was identified as an experienced kayaker by American Whitewater, a national river conservation nonprofit.
Roberts says when EMS arrived at the river, Morton was receiving CPR from medical personnel who were kayaking in the vicinity.
Roberts says Morton was going through a rapid and didn’t see the tree because of elevated water levels. The investigation is ongoing.
- Tennessee gov: COVID vaccines to be optional in K-12 schools
- TBI investigating officer-involved shooting in Hawkins County
- Overnight shooting in Powell leaves one dead
- Oak Ridge divided: Half of city under mask mandate, other half not
- Next step toward building new animal shelter in Monroe County tabled