KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – A Knoxville man is facing several charges including DUI after attempting to evade police who found him asleep at the wheel at an intersection early Sunday morning.
Kevin Dragg, 37, was charged with DUI, unlawful possession of a weapon, evading arrest, reckless endangerment and manufacture/ delivery of a controlled substances after leading police on a vehicle pursuit early Sunday morning.
Knoxville police responded the intersection of Olive Street and Magnolia Avenue for a report of a drunk driver around 3:20 a.m. Sunday. Officers observed a driver asleep at the wheel of a Chevrolet Silverado, failing to proceed through the intersection despite several light cycles.
After initiating a traffic stop and attempting to knock on the windows of the truck, the suspect woke up and accelerated through the light at a high rate of speed.
A KFD Fire Officer had to dodge the vehicle on Parkview Avenue, according to an incident report. The suspect continued to flee until he wrecked the vehicle on Dodson Avenue, exited the vehicle and threw a rifle over the fence in the 2300 block of Dodson Avenue. He continued to flee westbound on foot until he was eventually taken into custody without further incident.
Nearly $10,000, 225 grams of marijuana and a rifle were recovered in a search of Dragg’s person and the surround area.
- Postponed by pandemic: Only 27% of Americans have taken a vacation during COVID-19
- Drug Overdose Support Group meetings to resume
- Zoo Knoxville welcomes rare bird hatchling
- KCS Board of Education approves contract with Florida Virtual School to help teach students enrolled in online classes
- Second stimulus check: Where Biden, Harris stand on COVID payment proposals