KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Two people have been charged in the death of a man who died Sunday after being beaten with a baseball bat during a fight Friday night.
David Riffey, 55, and Elisha Inman, 30, have been charged with aggravated assault and especially aggravated kidnapping, Knoxville Police said in a news release Monday afternoon.
Further charges could be added pending the results of the autopsy, according to the police news release.
Police were dispatched to the 300 block of Atlantic Avenue on Sunday where they were informed a fight occurred in the 400 block of Atlantic Avenue sometime on Friday afternoon.
Knoxville police learned a 52-year-old Leonard Freeman was beaten with a baseball bat and was taken from the scene Friday to a friend’s residence following the fight.
Freeman was transported to Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center on Sunday morning after his condition deteriorated, according to a KPD release. He died at approximately 3:37 p.m. on Sunday afternoon.
A preliminary investigation determined that the assault was likely the result of a dispute involving money and/or drugs, according to police. The case is under investigation by the KPD Violent Crimes Unit.
- Prosecutors describe racist slur as Ahmaud Arbery lay dying
- Tracking the Tropics: Cristobal weakens to tropical depression before move back to Gulf
- WATCH LIVE: George Floyd memorial service in Minneapolis
- Deputy fired in Tennessee after ‘open fire’ comment
- Police make 3rd arrest in damaged Nashville courthouse