KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – There are nearly 600 active COVID-19 cases and 2,000 people in isolation at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville, according to the latest data released by the school.
According to the University of Tennessee-Knoxville COVID-19 dashboard, there are 590 active cases at the university as of Sunday. Of the 590 cases, 584 are students.
The university has reported 110 new cases since 480 COVID-19 cases were reported on Friday, a 22.9% rise in total active cases. Self-isolations grew from 1,812 to 1,983 during the same period, a rise of 9.44%.
There are 959 nonresidential students and 950 residential students currently in isolation. There are 74 university employees in isolation.
University of Tennessee-Knoxville has also reported 282 recoveries since June 8.
Chancellor Donde Plowman said Friday the school will rent out an entire hotel to be used to quarantine students and employees.
School officials last week identified Alpha Omicron Pi and Alpha Chi Omega as the latest sororities at the Knoxville campus to have COVID-19 clusters associated with their organizations.
The news came just one day after Phi Mu and Sigma Kappa were also identified for COVID-19 clusters. They join Zeta Tau Alpha, Delta Delta Delta and Alpha Delta Pi on a list of sororities to have COVID-19 clusters identified in the last two weeks.
The university defines a cluster as at least five positive cases or at least 20 close contacts as a result of one event or in one concentrated location.
School officials have asked Greek organizations to manage their own self-isolation needs and implement COVID-19 operational plans they were required to develop during the summer.
Six student organizations, later identified as Greek life groups, were placed on interim suspension for reportedly holding gatherings that violated UT’s COVID-19 health and safety guidelines.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party