KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — Active COVID-19 cases on the University of Tennessee-Knoxville campus are down by nearly 100 since Friday, according to the latest numbers released Monday on the school’s internet dashboard.
As of Sunday, the date for which the most recent COVID-19 data from the university is available, 338 active cases, including 15 employees and 323 students, were linked to the Knoxville campus.
Ninety-seven employees, 528 nonresidential students and 680 residential students are in self-isolation as of Sunday.
School officials have reported 1,026 recovered cases since June 8.
Chancellor Donde Plowman said Friday UT is ramping up testing including saliva and wastewater testing and the results of those tests should be available this week.
The university is focusing on testing since many are mistaking COVID-19 symptoms for the flu or allergies.
“Many, too seldom associate their mild symptoms with COVID-19,” Student Health Center Director Dr. Spencer Gregg said during Plowman’s virtual briefing Friday. “They often want to believe that their symptoms are tied to something more benign. Their headache or their mild congestion or their allergies. They’re not excessively fatigued, it’s just from work and class. They continue with their normal day in, day out activities without acknowledging that their mild illness may actually be COVID and then they’re spreading it all the while.
“Most members of our community are doing the right things, but some are not. With this infection, we all have to be involved in stopping it.”
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party