An East Tennessee teenager did a duet with megastar Katy Perry during his national audition on ABC’s “American Idol” on Sunday night.
Here are six things you need to know about Drake McCain, who moved on in the “Idol” competition.
1) His name is Drake Taylor, but he performs under the stage name of Drake McCain.
2) He lives in Spring City in Rhea County, Tennessee, between Knoxville and Chattanooga.
3) He’s just 17 and still in high school. He plays basketball, runs track, sings in the chorus.
4) Drake has 10 brothers and sisters and is the oldest boy of the clan. With a father who has not lived in the home for much of their lives and a mother who works two shifts, he is somewhat of a parent figure to his siblings. He is the son of Courtney Swafford and Courtney Taylor.
5) He submitted a video to “Idol” singing “Girls Like You” by Maroon 5. That led to a private audition in Nashville His musical tastes run from hip-hop to gospel. He’s been performing locally since he was 7 or 8 but gave it up during middle school. Musician and friend, Abigail Corvin, encouraged him to focus on singing during his junior year in high school. He credits her with making it possible to get on the show.
6) Spring City and Rhea County have gotten behind his dream of winning “American Idol.“ Fundraisers were held to raise the money he needed for travel expenses to be on the ABC show.