ANDERSONVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) - A man with active warrants is in custody after Anderson County Sheriff's Office arrested him following a standoff in which he had barricaded himself inside an Andersonville home.
ACSO officials say that a little after 5 p.m. Wednesday, an officer patrolling the area spotted the man in the yard of a home on Boyer Road. The officer was aware of the suspect, William Sharp's active violation of a probation warrant from Union County.
When the officer pulled into the residence to talk with Sharp, Sharp ran into the home and barricaded himself inside the attic. He was the only person inside the home, ACSO officials say.
After multiple attempts to get Sharp to surrender, ACSO deputies entered the home to make an arrest. In an attempt to evade law enforcement personnel, Sharp fell through the ceiling and was immediately apprehended.
He was not injured in the fall.
Anderson County Sheriff, Russell Barker, was at the scene Wednesday night, praising to those involved. “Incidents such as we experienced tonight are difficult because of the unpredictable behavior of the subject. Seeing the teamwork, communication, and shared vision of those who worked the scene tonight was truly inspiring” Barker stated.
Andersonville Volunteer Fire Department was on standby for the possible use of tear gas. The tear gas was not utilized, officials say.
- WATCH: NFL Draft prospects ready to take the big stage
- Knox County Schools board of education approves budget
- Nashville teens with troubled pasts cook for, serve NFL stars, Draft prospects
- Northview Senior Academy student taken into custody after alleged threat
- Knox County elementary school awarded Budding Botanist Grant
- Ride sharing companies finding ways to counter NFL Draft road closures
- Worried Knoxville parents vaccinating early amid East TN measles case
- Court to hear Washington challenge to Trump abortion rule
- Texas executes avowed racist in black man's dragging death
- Illinois boy found buried in shallow grave; parents charged
- Some women of color frustrated by Biden's expected 2020 bid
- The Latest: Missing boy's body was buried in shallow grave
- The Latest: Trump says White House to fight House subpoenas
- Woman, 2 children die in North Texas flash flood