KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – People around the world and right here in East Tennessee celebrated Ash Wednesday today.
The holiday marks the first day of Lent in some Christian churches.
The ashes symbolize penance and the dust from which God made people.
The Cathedral of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus here in Knoxville, held a special Mass today.
“It’s a time we seriously look at our lives to see what is it that we can eradicate or give to God. That allows us to grow closer to God.”Bishop Richard Stika
Pope Francis also celebrated Ash Wednesday in the traditional fashion while greeting the public in Rome.
- KCSO searching for missing Knoxville woman
- How to score a McDonald’s cheeseburger for 25 cents Thursday
- Three soldiers killed in upstate NY military helicopter crash
- Uniformed man seen kneeling at Beau Biden’s grave during inauguration
- Springfield youth inspired by the Inauguration of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris