KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — Knox County Schools plan to align with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s updated guidelines for quarantining options, according to Knox County Health Department Director Dr. Martha Buchanan.
The change would alter quarantine requirements from 14 days down to 7 to 10 days for students and staff potentially exposed to COVID-19. The school system is working with health officials on a plan for when the quarantine changes will take effect.
According to Knox County Schools COVID-19 Dashboard, there were 2,522 students and staff in isolation or quarantine as of Wednesday.
The school district’s policies have followed CDC recommendation since the beginning of the pandemic.
In a report by The Associated Press earlier this week, the CDC’s new recommendation will allow people who have come in contact with someone infected with the virus to resume their normal activities after 10 days, or seven days if they receive a negative COVID-19 test result.
On its page about quarantine, the CDC says it “now recommends two additional options for how long quarantine should last. Based on local availability of viral testing, for people without symptoms quarantine can end:
- On day 10 without testing
- On day 7 after receiving a negative test result
After stopping quarantine, people should
- Watch for symptoms until 14 days after exposure.
- If they have symptoms, immediately self-isolate and contact their local public health authority or healthcare provider.
- Wear a mask, stay at least 6 feet from others, wash their hands, avoid crowds, and take other steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19.“
- Local pizzeria to donate all profits from Tuesday through Saturday to Austin-East Magnet High School
- Suspect wanted on 2 counts of aggravated assault after shooting at Victor Ashe Park
- Knoxville Police seek help locating man missing since April 15
- Couple IDs mystery litterer they say left cups on their lawn for 3 years
- ‘Transparency also means timely:’ Knoxville mayor again pushes for release of body camera video